Saturday, September 25, 2010

One Of a Kind Canon EF-S Macro Lens - 60mm f/2.8 USM

Canon EF-S macro 60mm
The Canon EF-S Macro is a breed all its own. That's right, there is only one Canon EF-S Macro lens and it's a 60mm focal length. But maybe one is enough; it's a great lens.

Photographers come in all shapes and styles. Not every one is a professional. Of this I am guilty.

But I really like my Canon EOS 30D. And, while my camera is not a pro dslr camera, I have taken some genuinely excellent images with it. I have also earned some honors on different websites as "image of the day".

Searching for lenses for my own Canon dslr led me to take a look at the Canon EF-S macro lens selection. I find that EF-S lenses function extremely good, simply for the reason that they are produced specifically for my kind of camera. In the event you have a Canon Rebel, any specific model, or any of the XXD Canon cameras, you could use these extraordinary lenses on your current dslr camera.

The engineering has been specifically targeted for cameras with a APS-C sensor (this is the sensor that is in the entry-level to mid-level digital slr cameras referred to above).

To my surprise, there is only one Canon EF-S macro lens out there. It is the 60mm f/2.8 USM lens, and it is a specific macro lens. You can take photos of really small objects, bugs, flowers, and all manner of little things. On a personal note, macro photography is the reason I actually moved from a point and shoot camera to my very first Canon Rebel.

So, locating a close-up lens for my Rebel was huge on my priority list. I checked out the complete collection of lenses, some of which have a value as high as the camera alone... too much for my budget.

I settled on the Canon EF-S 60mm lens after examining the reviews and customer comments regarding it.

I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, but this was not one of them. The Canon macro 60mm lens is my most loved by far, not merely because of the macro pictures it creates, but also due to the fact it manages other sorts of pictures well, too. For example, when I want to take a portrait of one of the grandchildren, the Canon EF-S macro lens is my personal pick. It is the perfect focal length to get professional type portraits.

I also use my 60mm macro for taking a few product-type shots in my home-made light box. In spite of my crude set-up, the results are great.

While the Canon 60mm does take care of many photographic situations, it is not the perfect lens for every occasion. For instance, it is not my lens of choice for landscapes, and on excursions to the zoo, there will be a different lens on my Canon DSLR, however, I think that the Canon EF-S macro lens handles the majority of of my serious work with wonderful final results.

In addition, if I decide to upgrade to a newer camera (the Canon 7D is looking really good, and negotiations on terms with my better half have started), the EF-S lenses will work just fine.

As you can tell, I am a big fan of macro photography. And in my personal experience, I discovered that the Canon 60mm has truly done the job beautifully. It has an superb wide aperture of f/2.8 to produce fast shutter speeds for those elusive bugs and butterflies. It also yields a wonderful blurred background, the objective of a respectable close-up image. The USM (ultra sonic motor) gives speedy focus, again, nailing the bug shots with a pretty good "keeper" rate.

I would not be reluctant to recommend a Canon EF-S macro 60mm lens to virtually any Canon camera user. It is an awesome lens. Go to www.canoneoslenses.org/macro-canon-lens/ for a much better look.

1 comment:

  1. I would be willing to buy this Canon EF-S macro 60mm lens to be added in my collection of high quality lenses. My goal is to collect different powerful lenses.
    canon digital slr camera lenses

    ReplyDelete