Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Pro Friends Laughed When I Told Them About The Canon Rebel T3i


"Seriously, why would anyone with years of digital SLR experience get a Canon Rebel T3i?"
That was the question one of my professional friends at the camera club asked. 
"Are we really comparing a Canon 60D vs T3i?"
But, why not?
I could have taken this with a Canon 60D, but I used the Rebel T3i
After all, the new EOS Rebel has many of the same perks and benefits as the 60D.
  • It has the same 18-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor.
  • It has the same DIGIC 4 image processor.
  • It has the exact same 3" LCD panel that swivels for use at weird angles.
  • The ISO settings are also identical - 100 to 6400 and can be expanded to 12800.
  • Both can have external flash units with wireless firing (plus Sync connector).
  • The new Rebel also has the same video recording capabilities at HD 1080p with stereo sound.

By the time I got through this list, my friend had a different take on my camera.
(Did I mention that he is a professional photographer, and, even though he had heard about the new entry-level camera, he had not paid too much attention to it?)
Macro photos using the T3i are so
easy with Live View and 10x Zoom
Quite honestly, I was ready for a new camera when the T3i came out. Before the release of the Rebel, I was seriously thinking about either a 60D or a 7D. My first preference was the Canon EOS 7D, but after a short discussion with my better half, I made a quality decision to preserve my marriage. The Rebel costs half as much, and this is a major consideration right now given our present financial situation (details about this shall remain private).
Having mentioned the 7D, I will point out that it also has the same image sensor as the other two cameras. But there are some other major differences that would put me in that ball park if I was making money from my photography addiction.
But back to the comparison between the Canon Rebel T3i and the 60D.
I pointed out to my friend that there were indeed some differences. I mean, there would be no reason to produce two identical cameras.
On the side of the 60D:
  • Better continuous shooting rate at 5.3 frames per second vs 3.7.
  • The body is environmentally sealed.
  • Shutter speeds go as high as 1/8000 sec vs 1/4000 sec.
  • View finder shows 0.95 of the image vs 0.85.
  • Battery will last for about 1100 pictures vs 440. 
So, I have to admit that there is reason to consider the 60D for these added benefits. What I had to think about (again, my spouse's influence) - are these benefits worth the extra $200 I would have to shell out?
    I opted for the Rebel rather than the 60D.
    Did I mention that the T3i has some creative options that are brand new to any camera in the Canon Digital SLR line-up? More on that later, perhaps.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment